Tuesday, March 31, 2009

SMART ART


My sister, originally uploaded by ibeholder.

Have you ever been obsessed with something? Love something for no apparent reason? I love text. Yes, text. Loving text doesn't mean I'm a graphic designer or that I can work with text at all. I just love it. I especially love text when it accompanies art.

For nearly 5 years, I've been photographing women with breast cancer. I have always intended this series to be a book. With text. I've been experimenting with text nearly as long as I've been photographing. Had a writer friend interview some of the women I photographed. Their stories are interesting, heart wrenching and inspiring. I decided however that whole stories about every woman in the series would be too much information. No one would be able to take it all in.

Next, I created a book using woman's names, age at diagnosis and stage IV status if applicable. This was too little information. Didn't tell enough of the story. The information seemed to distance people instead of bringing them in.

A couple of months ago, I enrolled in a workshop with Rob Goldman.

Rob is also obsessed with text and talked about the Post Secret Project. Post secret is a community based art project where people anonymously mail in post cards with their secrets written on them Rob encouraged the group to put text to their work. At first, I created a post secret of my own. It felt good to reveal something that's been on my mind for awhile. However I didn't see my project going in this direction. A couple of weeks later I was looking at a recent photograph I made and it came to me. The crux of her story summed up in one sentence. It feels right. It feels like what I have been searching for. It's true, it's smart, it adds another layer of meaning to the photograph.

I believe this will be the direction of my art for this particular project.

Let me know what you think...

2 comments:

  1. ...well I think you're very fortunate to be able to express yourself with "text". Your words are deep, from your heart, and very real.
    Not only has this journey helped you with lifes path, but there are so many other women who you have enriched through your photography and words of wisdom, so yes, you I believe you are headed in the right direction too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reality.Its hard but these women still exude beauty and patience and you compassion.This is such powerful work.may the gods and goddesses bless and keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete